08 January 2009

Double happiness


After 4 days on the road, we arrived at our destination. It is peaceful and beautiful here, my blue house in the forest, surrounded by tropical vegetation. Away from it all, yet not too far from beaches and nearby towns.

The first thing I did when I arrived, even before I made a pot of tea, was to put a load of dirty laundry in the washing machine. Don't know why I love washing clothes so much, but I do. Love the thought of the clothes being clean and smelling fresh soon. Love sorting light colours from dark colours so you don't end up with pink clothes. Love the smell of the laundry powder. Love watching them go round and round through the window of the front loader. Love hanging up the freshly washed clothes with matching pegs. Love watching storm clouds brewing in the distance, worrying about whether it will stay bright and sunny till my washing is dry.

Whilst the first load of clothes was in the machine, I unpacked the car and made a pot of tea. We had a small lunch and settled into the house. Two loads of clothes washed and hung out to dry, then we headed to the beach.

Double happiness because today it is raining, and the forecast says it will rain for the next 3 days. But my washing got done in time. All nice and clean and dry. When the sunny weather returns, the ritual begins again.

5 comments:

meggie said...

Thankyou for taking the time to visit my blog, & leave me a comment.
I too, love fresh washing off the line, clean, fresh & dry! It is one of my 'free treats'!

Mary said...

What a joy to have found you and your lovely drawings. thank goodness you visited my place!

Private said...

I love your blog! You make me want to go back and rework mine a bit. Get more creative.

http://racheteapaintersdiary.blogspot.com/

Ulrike said...

Thank you so much for your comments, Meggie, Mary and Rachete. Greatly appreciated! I replied to you earlier on each of your blogs.

Anonymous said...

this is just the beginning of an urban campaign - there is actually a move in nsw for tenants of apartments being allowed to hang washing out "provided it is not visible" - I say come to Italy where the line out the window takes precedent over dryers - I do love all things Italian!